Institute   of   Nesseltal   Koprivnik   is   located   in   settlement   in   the   middle   of Kočevski   Rog.   Private   institute   with   status   of   an   association   is   acting   in public interest. Activities,   we   are   performing,   concern   various   fields:   preservation   of cultural   heritage   of   Gottscheers,   excurisons   in   Kočevski   Rog   with   visits to    Virgin    forest,    lodging    capacities,    cycling    and    hiking,    different workshops   and   production   of   homemade   natural   juices   and   vinegar. On bicycle route we provide support for cyclists.

Koprivnik today

Koprivnik   

is   

one   

of   

many   

Kočevar

villages.  

Even  

though,  

by  

Milko  

Kos,

the  

settlement  

is  

first  

mentioned  

in

writing    

with    

the    

German    

name

Nesselthal  

in  

the  

middle  

of  

the  

15th

century,  

it  

is  

sure  

to  

have  

come  

into

existence  

in  

the  

second  

half  

of  

the

14th   

century,   

as   

the   

independent

Koprivnik     

parish     

is     

mentioned

already in the year 1400.

Let  

us  

try  

to  

illustrate  

the  

regression  

of  

Koprivnik  

with  

a  

few  

statistical  

facts.  

Going  

by  

the  

last  

Austrian  

census  

in  

1910,  

the  

village

counted  

82  

houses  

and  

295  

inhabitants.  

Of  

these  

295,  

252  

choose  

German  

as  

their  

colloquial  

language,  

21  

chose  

Slovenian  

and  

22

were  

foreigners.  

In  

the  

1937  

Gazetteer  

of  

Dravska  

Banovina  

Koprivnik  

is  

mentioned  

with  

72  

houses  

and  

291  

inhabitants.  

In  

the

Gazetteer  

of  

Slovenia,  

which  

uses  

information  

from  

the  

1961  

census,  

it  

is  

mentioned  

with  

only  

23  

houses  

and  

228  

inhabitants.  

After

the departure of the Kočevars new settlers came from various parts.

Die Karte des Schprachinsel Gottchee

Premises of institute

Like  

most  

of  

Kočevska,  

Koprivnik  

suffered  

during  

WWII.  

Even  

sadder  

is  

the  

fact  

that  

the  

devastation  

of  

Kočevska,  

especially  

its  

sacral

architecture,  

continued  

after  

the  

war.  

Both  

churches  

of  

Koprivnik,  

the  

parish  

church  

of  

St.  

Jacob  

(burnt  

down  

in  

1949)  

and  

the

cemetery church of St. Anne (burnt down in 1956), were victims of this devastation. St. Anne was restored in the 1970s. 

